Opened May 1, 1989, the Disney-MGM Studios is a creative, year round, theme park devoted to bringing the magic of television, radio, movies and Broadway plays to the masses in an interesting to view, educational and fun environment. From the Pan-Pacific Auditorioum replica main gate to the 1930's style Hollywood and Sunset Boulevards to the New York Street backlot, Disney's Hollywood Studios is centered around the movie making process, bringing it all to life as only Disney can. The name of the park has changed from the Disney-MGM Studios to Disney's Hollywood Studios but the focus of the park is still celebrating Hollywood. The central park icon is a giant Sorcerer's Hat that is from the film Fantasia and was erected in 2001, replacing The Earful Tower as the icon.
Disney's Hollywood Studios was an idea created in by corporate environment to take Walt's dream of a Disney park devoted to showcasing the great wonders of film making. The idea for the park was loosely based on the tram tours of the earlier part of the century that dominated the movie studio lots in Hollywood, California. Due to costs, the idea for the park was moved from California to Florida, where the Disney Company had more land and it was cheaper to build. Largely, the Disney's Hollywood Studios was a race against rival Universal Studios, whose theme park in California was quite successful. Universal announced plans to create a second theme park in Florida, near the already existant Walt Disney World area. A race ensued and the Studios were opened nearly two years earlier than Universal. Read more about the history of Hollywood Studios.
- Star Tours: Star Tours is a thrilling, motion simulator ride based on the Star Wars universe. You are set as a tourist taking one of the galaxy's most prestigious tours when you're placed in a ship and it's your captain's first tour. Mayhem ensues as you're plunged into the fight between the evil Empire and the Rebel force. Help save the galaxy in this futuristic adventure!
- Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular: Straight from the movies, experience in a large forum, the exciting secrets that brought Indiana Jones to the screen. From fighting secrets to incredible stunt work, the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular will thrill and amaze you.
- MuppetVision 3D: Jim Henson's Muppets are back and this time they've employed the latest three dimensional technology to showcase their talents. From Miss Piggy to Kermit to Gonzo, the entire loveable cast is waiting to show you a great time.
- Fantasmic!: Due to popular demand, Fantasmic! is the Studios firework and laser spectacular. Experience an exciting array of light and color silhouetted against the evening sky.
- Voyage of the Little Mermaid: Re-experience Ariel's story of wanting to leave the sea in this live action, Broadway-esque production.
- The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror: Become transported to this 1930's hotel as you become part of an episode of the Twilight Zone. Plunge 13-plus stories in a rickety old elevator.
- Rock 'n' Roller Coaster: Ride Disney's latest and greatest roller coaster as you race to join mega band Aerosmith for a once in a lifetime experience. This steel coaster will turn, flip and rock 'n roll you, begging for more.
- Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show - This action stunt show showcases how vehicle based stunts are performed in the movies.
- American Idol Experience - Disney brings the hit television show into the park and lets park guests compete in a daily competition with those in the audience voting for who should have an opportunity to compete to be the next American Idol.
- Toy Story Midway Mania - Get shrunk down to the size of a toy and play an interactive shooting game in 3D with your favorite Toy Story friends in an attraction that is great for the whole family.