Disney announced today the end of its popular ESPN the Weekend event in an announcement today. Disney seemed to indicate they would no longer host ESPN the Weekend at Disney's Hollywood Studios in favor of focusing on other events at ESPN's Wide World of Sports Complex such as the new ESPN RISE Girls Showcase and the ESPN RISE Games.
The move came as a surprise as there were ESPN the Weekend 2012 dates for both the event and the Champion...
Disney surprised us all earlier this week when they announced the dates for ESPN the Weekend 2012 so early. Aside from the date, we weren't given any other information but we have good news for all of our runners out there.
The Champion 5k at ESPN the Weekend will be returning for 2012. There aren't any race details out yet, but Disney has begun looking for volunteers for the 2012 race, thus confirming that the race will indeed return. It will be held on Saturday, March 3, 2012 at Disney's Hollywood Studios.
ESPN the Weekend may have ended on Sunday, but if you're already looking to book ESPN the Weekend 2012, there's good news. Disney has uncharacteristically announced the dates for next year's event quite early.
ESPN the Weekend is an annual event that is held mostly in Disney's Hollywood Studios that celebrates sports and the ESPN brand. It features athlete interviews, question & answer sessions with the panel of your favorite ESPN shows, live broadcasts and more. You can read more about ESPN the Weekend from the...
Just days before ESPN the Weekend kicks off, Disney has added more athletes to the list of athletes in attendance.
Athletes added to the list
Jose Bautista (Toronto Blue Jays - Baseball)
Curtis Granderson (New York Yankees - Baseball)
Jair Jurrjens (Atlanta Braves - Baseball)
Martin Prado (Atlanta Braves - Baseball)
Jason Richardson(Orlando Magic - Basketball)...
ESPN the Weekend 2011 kicks off this Friday and if you can't make it down to Hollywood Studios for the fun this year, don't worry because Studios Central has you covered. We will have live video, photos and updates throughout the day that you can follow along with.
Our live coverage will include video of the various events and a tour of the Studios as a whole. We're excited to provide this coverage and hope you will join us for the fun.
The live coverage will be provided at http://live.studioscentral.com
Be sure to RSVP (and in turn, get a nice reminder on Friday) for our live coverage on either...
Heads up! More athletes have been added to the ESPN the Weekend 2011 roster.
Athletes added to the list
Jameer Nelson (Orlando Magic)
Justin Verlander (Detroit Tigers)
Wandy Rodriguez (Houston Astros)
Hunter Pence (Houston Astros)
Carlos Lee (...
Good news for those attending ESPN the Weekend next week, Disney has added more athletes and events to the schedule.
- Bert Blyleven
- Rashard Mendenhall
- Mike Singletary
- current Orlando Magic players
See full ESPN the Weekend athlete list
- Homer The Brave (Atlanta Braves)
- Sebastian the Ibis (University of Miami)
See full ESPN the Weekend mascot list
- Bernie Williams (former New York Yankees center...
Here are some changes coming to character meet-n-greets at Disney's Hollywood Studios over the next few months
- Expect the Cars meet-n-greet to close soon for refurbishment to make way for a Cars 2 changeover. Not sure which Cars 2 character(s) will be added or which, if any, of the existing characters will be removed. Bottom line is a Cars 2 makeover is coming along with a new character to meet.
- The new Phineas and Ferb meet-n-greet will operate in this fashion
- Phineas and Ferb will meet guests like any other character meet
- Every so often...
New to ESPN the Weekend this year will be team mascots that will be a part of the event. The mascots addition to ESPN the Weekend compliments the active and retired athletes that have been a part of this sports weekend for years.
The mascots for this year will include
- Phillie Phanatic (Philadelphia Phillies)
- Albert E. Gator (Univ. of Florida)
- the Penn State Nittany Lion
- the Oregon Duck
- Stuff the Magic Dragon (Orlando Magic)
- Captain Fear the Buccaneer (Tampa Bay Buccaneers)
Tip of the hat to LaughingPlace for the news
A few more athletes have been added to the ESPN the Weekend 2011 line up.
- Mariano Rivera (New York Yankees closer)
- Kevin McHale (Boston Celtics forward, Minnesota Timberwolves coach)
- Donald Driver (Green Bay Packers reciever)
Disney has removed Cal Ripken Jr from the list of attending athletes.
ESPN the Weekend is an annual event that is being held March 3-6, 2011