Yesterday marked the official beginning of the Christmas and New Years season in Walt Disney World and if you're brave enough to visit Hollywood Studios during this time of the year, there are some changes to be aware of so you can be best prepared.
Before you step foot in Hollywood, you will need to park your car. Most guests driving to the park take the entrance near the Boardwalk resort, which is just 2 lanes wide. If you can help it, it may make more sense to actually go off Disney World property and re-enter on World Drive so you can drive through the main entrance to the park that sports over 6 lanes. There tends to be much higher traffic problems for much of the morning hours from the resort entrance and it gets back up quickly.
Insider Tip: If you are trying to go to the Studios and the lane to make the turn to Hollywood Studios is really backed up, take the opposite turn towards the Boardwalk resort, then make a U-turn and come back to the traffic light to go to the Studios. When traffic is really backed up, this can save you a few minutes.
Once inside the park, there are some changes that have been made that you or may not notice.
- Guests arriving early in the morning can park in the Television parking lot, which is usually the Cast Member lot.
- All the classic cars and trucks on Hollywood and Sunset Boulevards have been removed. This is to increase the amount of physical space guests have.
- Mickey's Christmas Carol is being shown in the Premiere Theater through January 1st. This is free to guests and starts at noon and runs every hour, on the hour.
- A stage is set up in front of the Sorcerer's Hat which is where Disney Channel Rocks! is performed. There is no traveling stage, which help clears up Hollywood Boulevard.
- A new Italian quick service kiosk has been set up near the exit to Muppetvision 3D. This will run through January 1st.
- Disney is including a 30% off coupon with the Times Guide for select Counter Service restaurants if you eat at off-peak times.
- There is a Fantasmic! showing every night through the end of the year. Always try to see the last show of the night. If there are 3 showings per night, this means try for the third showing for best chance of getting seats.
If you find yourself in Disney's Hollywood Studios over the next two weeks or so, be sure to keep these changes in mind to ensure you don't miss a step!